Monday, November 8, 2010

"Tape" - The review without a clever title.

I find it strange that my first official "Life Condoms" post should be a Milwaukee theatre review as I tend not to see much theatre in Milwaukee.

This is a true statement for two major reasons:

 1. I am usually involved in a show.
 2. As a pretentious piece of shit - I usually have a hard time enjoying myself.

However, this is the first time in about two and a half years that I have had more than a month outside of a production and it is my goal to take full advantage of it. I was, also, one of a mere twelve available seats at a pay-jwhat-joo-cayn preview night for the performance of "Tape" so I figured a review is the only fair thing to do.

I am still a piece of shit.

This production was brought to my attention recently and I was immediately interested.The entire action of the play takes place in a hotel room. The seating is limited to twelve people and you are at the most ten feet away from any action happening "on stage". (At the least? 15 inches)
This is what I live for.
A visceral theatre experience to say the least.
A cast of three people? Sign me up.
Simulated drug use? Fuck it; I'll bring the real shit and we can get this show started.
I was lucky enough to call like a little schoolgirl, right at noon when the tickets became available, and be one of the few who would be a part of this experience.

I was sitting at home, rockin' on some peach salza, and discussing many sophisticated and worldly affairs with my friend and confidant Robby McGhee...
Now appearing in Bye Bye Liver - the live theatre version of the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ

I mentioned the fact that I was taking his wife and my roomed mate to the Monday evening production of "Tape" when he let me know that a customer of his, Rob Maass, was appearing in this play.

Joy (If I can barely describe it as that. Infinite joy possibly? Let us say; glorious rapture) swept over me to be reunited with a friend and former stage partner.

A bref our-story of Robert and Jordan's theatre relationship:
Children of Eden - Oak Creek High School
It Came from the Student Lounge - Break a Leg Productions
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers - Who Gives a Shit Co.
So Long Sweet Summer - We Should Write a Play that Rob Kills Himself in Studios
Love's Fire - Renaissance Theatre

Sterling stuff boys and girls. Needless to say my anticipation was now thru the proverbial roof; and the literal roof was already ruined by rain... so I was roofless.

The Show:

Arriving at the Best Western on Old World 3rd was an interesting enough start to the evening. A man with a long greasy yellowish ponytail was standing outside smoking a cigarette and staring at passers-by and the lobby smelled like you could get syphilis just from standing there too long. It really gave the authentic feeling of... well being at a Best Western hotel.
We were met in the lobby, told we had to turn off our cell-phones, that we were not allowed to use the "set" bathroom and under no circumstances answer the telephone "onstage", and shown up to room 902.

Not much to be said for set design; as it was Room 902 of the Best Western and I am pretty sure they have their own personal "interior designer" who takes care of the rooms. I can say pretty certainly that the twelve seats were definitely set in the most appropriate space for twelve seats in a hotel room.

The action is already taking place; Matt Kemple as Vince is reading smut on the bed with a Pabst Blue Ribbon. The phone rings (I resist every urge to reach out from my seat and answer it) and the drama unfolds.

Sidenote:
The play did not stop audience members from making small comments to each other and unwrapping candy while the show went on. I mean, who would notice these small audience faux-pas when you are crammed together like sardines? Not distracting at all.

The call was from Vince's longtime friend Jon played by Rob Maass. Within minutes he is in the room and all of the ensuing dialogue and action is played in real-time; mostly between these two characters.

To pull off an hour of two people on-stage is tough; the action must be intriguing and energetic enough to keep the audiences attention and in such close quarters it must also be ultra-realistic to be believable.

Neither of these two things were fully realized. This is not to say that the show was not an enjoyable and interesting theatre experience.

The script is dark and tortured; sad and sentimental; and at (surprisingly) more times than not - uncomfortably amusing. It is a very difficult job as an actor to approach the subject matter of "Tape" and hit all of those points effectively.

Matt Kemple's -Vince- was certainly the most dynamic of the three characters. The character is painted unsympathetically from the start and not much is done to improve his moral standing with the audience as we find out that even his "best-friend" holds a dramatically low opinion of him. Despite that, Matt Kemple strikes just the right chords at the right times to make this performance strong, believable, sympathetic, and pretty hilarious.

Rob Maass as Jon is at his best when he is saying nothing at all. His physicality speaks so much more to the depth of his character than his words. I often found myself watching Rob while there were long silent pauses in the show or when the other two characters were heavily involved in conversation. That being said; it would be nice if a few more of his consonants were enunciated. At his most "dramatic" moments of yelling; it was a bit of a chore to figure out exactly what was coming out of his mouth.

Gwen Zupan comes in close to the end of the show as Amy Randall and delivers a substantial performance. The two friend's fate comes to rest solely in her hands, and she makes strong bold choices that understandably lead to the characters final decision. She unquestionably is the most ambiguously written character (you sometimes feel that even she isn't quite sure of the "truth" that is being ripped from her) and none of her emotions or responses seemed  forced or out of left-field.

My major issue with the show is that a lot of the conflict arises from the possesion of a "Tape" that the character Vince possesses. Rob Maass is considerably larger than Matt - most of the fight scenes were not believable and with the eight foot arms that Rob Maass posseses; he could easily have reached over and grabbed the "Tape" at any time he chose.

The show runs roughly an hour and twenty minutes with no intermission - for the most part; this time flew by for me. It is nice to see daring and innovative theatre in Milwaukee and I encourage you all to get tickets to this show as soon as possible - seating will be very limited.

http://www.pinkbananatheatre.com/?n=UpcomingShows

1 comment: